Family of aid worker killed in Gaza criticise 'empty apologies'

2025-04-03 04:08:00

Abstract: British aid worker James Kirby died in Gaza, an Israeli drone strike killed 6 others. Family accuses UK of "hollow apologies," seeks investigation & justice.

In the Gaza Strip, a British aid worker was killed in an Israeli drone strike, and his family has accused the UK government of offering only "hollow apologies." The deceased was 47-year-old James Kirby from Bristol, one of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) members killed in the attack, which also claimed the lives of two other British citizens. This incident has raised serious questions about the protection of humanitarian workers in conflict zones.

The incident occurred on April 1st last year, when the clearly marked convoy of vehicles carrying the victims was struck by an Israeli armed drone. On Tuesday, the UK Parliament discussed the deaths of the three British citizens. Foreign Office Minister of State Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon told lawmakers that he and the Foreign Secretary had met with the victims' families last November and called on Israel to complete a "swift and thorough" investigation into the airstrike. The need for transparency and accountability in such investigations was strongly emphasized.

Louise Kirby, James Kirby's cousin, said on Tuesday that the "lack of justice and accountability" was causing them "equally devastating" pain as the loss of their loved one. On the first anniversary of his death, she added that despite "repeated calls for answers," the family had "been met with silence from the government." She stated, "It is devastating that after all this time, we still have no concrete evidence of accountability from anyone responsible." The family's frustration is palpable as they seek closure and understanding.

Louise Kirby stated that the government's response was "nothing more than hollow apologies, which are and will never be enough." She also stated that her family was "deeply concerned about potential breaches of policy or law" and worried that they might be missing information about his death due to the lack of investigation. She called on the UK government to conduct a "formal, in-depth investigation" and provide evidence in court to ensure "full transparency and accountability." She said, "We want justice for James and to know the truth, no matter how difficult or upsetting that may be." The pursuit of truth and justice remains the family's primary focus.

Also killed in the incident were 57-year-old John Chapman and 33-year-old James "Jim" Henderson. In addition, the head of the rescue team, 43-year-old Australian Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom, as well as 33-year-old Jacob Flickinger, who held dual American and Canadian citizenship, 35-year-old Polish national Damian Soból, and their Palestinian driver, 25-year-old Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha, also tragically lost their lives. This highlights the diverse backgrounds of those working to provide aid in conflict areas.

The Israeli Embassy and the Foreign Office have been contacted for comment. Last year, the Israeli Embassy stated that "a serious mistake was made due to misidentification and errors in decision-making," and two officers were dismissed, while three others were reprimanded. Louise Kirby thanked the King and Queen for their letters of condolence, as well as former Foreign Secretary David Cameron and former Conservative MP Charlotte Leslie for their support. She also thanked the Muslim community in Bristol for their "continued solidarity" and for standing with them "in the pursuit of justice." The support from various communities has been a source of strength for the family.

Foreign Office Minister of State Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon addressed Parliament on Tuesday, calling the incident a "shocking tragedy." He said that the victims' families are "determined to get justice for their loved ones, and I know the whole House will be united in that determination to do so." The commitment to seeking justice for the victims resonated throughout the parliamentary discussions.