UK couple's death in New Zealand probed as murder-suicide

2025-04-03 04:14:00

Abstract: NZ police investigate the deaths of a British couple in Wellington as a possible murder-suicide. They appeal for info & support grieving families.

New Zealand police have announced they are investigating the deaths of a British couple in New Zealand, with initial assessments pointing towards a murder-suicide. Currently, police are fully investigating the truth of the incident and appealing to anyone with information to come forward. The investigation aims to provide clarity and closure for all involved.

Police stated that the unnamed man and woman were discovered in the Wellington capital suburb of Roseneath. On Monday, police discovered the bodies when responding to a request to conduct a welfare check on them. It has been reported that the couple moved to New Zealand from the UK at the end of last year. The move was intended to be a fresh start for the couple.

Detective Inspector Hayley Ryan stated that police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident but appealed for anyone with information about the case to contact them. In a statement, police said they are "providing support to the families involved in this tragic event," adding, "The family has requested privacy as they grieve." Support services are also being offered to the wider community impacted by the news.

Police stated that officers forced entry into a property on Palliser Road and discovered the two bodies after a concerned family member requested they check on the couple in the morning. Emma Prestidge, a neighbor of the couple, told Radio New Zealand that they had moved to the area from London. "My understanding was that they had finally sorted out their life in London, got everything in a container, and they were coming here permanently," she said. "I think they were at the next stage of their life, ready for the next chapter of their life, which is just really sad." The community is now grappling with the shock and sadness of the event.

New Zealand police are urging anyone with CCTV footage of the area to contact them. Detective Ryan previously stated that the case has been referred to the coroner. A UK Foreign Office spokesperson said in a statement to the BBC: "We have not been approached for consular assistance in this case, but our staff stand ready to offer support to British nationals overseas 24/7." The BBC has contacted the New Zealand Coroner's Office for comment. Further updates will be provided as the investigation progresses.