Former U.S. President Donald Trump stated that he is "very angry" and "annoyed" with Russian President Vladimir Putin after weeks of attempting to broker a ceasefire in Ukraine. Trump's remarks mark a shift in his tone towards Putin and Russia, demonstrating a growing frustration with the ongoing conflict.
In an interview with NBC News, Trump said he was furious that Putin was attacking the credibility of Ukrainian President Zelenskyy and threatened to impose a 50% tariff on countries that buy Russian oil if Putin did not agree to a ceasefire. He emphasized that if Russia and the United States could not reach an agreement to stop the bloodshed in Ukraine, and he believed it was Russia's fault, he would impose secondary tariffs on all oil coming from Russia, escalating the economic pressure.
Trump also stated that the Kremlin knows of his anger, but he also noted that he maintains a "very good relationship" with the Russian leader and that the "anger will dissipate quickly if he does the right thing." If Russia does not comply with a ceasefire agreement, Trump threatened to further hit the Russian economy if he believes it is Putin's fault. He indicated that one month after a ceasefire agreement is not reached, a 25% tariff would be imposed on Russian oil and other products sold in the United States, increasing the stakes for Russia.
Secondary tariffs refer to sanctions imposed on countries that trade with another country. Tariffs levied on goods entering the United States from countries that still purchase Russian oil could be as high as 50%. Currently, China and India are the largest buyers of Russian oil. Zelenskyy wrote on social media after the interview that "Russia continues to find excuses to further delay this war," and stated that "Putin has been playing the same game since 2014," when Russia unilaterally annexed the Crimean Peninsula, highlighting the ongoing tensions and distrust.
Furthermore, during the NBC interview on Sunday, Trump stated that he was "not kidding" when he said he would not rule out seeking a third term as president, despite this being prohibited by the U.S. Constitution. He also reiterated his threat to bomb Iran if Iran does not agree to a nuclear deal. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stated on Sunday that Iran will not hold direct negotiations with Washington regarding its nuclear program, but indirect talks are possible. He emphasized, "We do not shy away from talks; it is the breaking of promises that has led to our problems so far. They must prove that they can build trust," underscoring the importance of reliability and good faith in any potential negotiations.